Ben Smith is a grade 11 student at St. Brother Andre in Markham, Ontario. Ever since his first day of school, Ben has been looking for ways to get involved. Ben has been involved in student government since his first day in elementary school. From playing on just about every sports team imaginable, to leading his high school's Athletic Council, Ben has been able to create real meaningful change for his peers.
Some of his Student Government career highlights thus far has been getting his school on CTV News for various charity events and Hockey Night In Canada, when the St. Brother Andre community sent alumnus Steven Stamkos a good luck video while he was playing in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals in 2015. He's also played a huge part in his high school's B-Strong Walk, a charity Ben particularly holds close to his heart in the fight to end cancer.
As Student Trustee of the York Catholic District School Board, Ben brings a unique perspective to student advocacy. His personable and including attitude gives him the opportunity to reach out to those students and stakeholders that others might have difficulty interacting with and getting results from. He brings an attitude to get tasks done quickly, but also a sense of care to get the job done right.
Ben’s main philosophy in life is that “Decisions Are Made By Those Who Show Up”, and it’s his hope that he will play a part in a team that will inspire all students, no matter what walk of life they come from, to show up to play a part in building an education system that fulfills that unwritten commandment that all people will give their kids better than they have received.
Goals for the next two years
- To develop innovation within all YCDSB schools.
- To give our elementary students a real and meaningful voice at the table.
- To support the board's "Multi-Year Strategic Plan".
- To foster new ideas and a fresh approach
- To visit every YCDSB secondary school at least once, while recognizing every school has different needs and a different identity.
- To support the York Secondary Catholic President's Council in all their endeavours.
- To act quickly and decisively on all requests, questions and ideas from students.
- To ensure equity, well-being and a positive learning experience for every YCDSB student.